Everyone has body hair, ….
…. yes, even those lucky ones where it isn’t noticeable, but I bet there are still things that you don’t know about it.
Here are just a few interesting body hair facts and facts about hair in general that you may not have been aware of before.
11 Body Hair Facts
- Hair helps to regulate your body’s temperature, keeping it cool in summer and warm in winter
- The fastest growing tissue in the human body is hair
- Hair grows at the rate of approximately 6 inches per year on average
- The only part of your hair that is not actually dead is the part of the hair that is under your skin
- Body hair has muscle cells to enable it to stand on end which happens when you are cold or frightened for example
- A head hair has a lifespan of around 5 years whereas body hair is generally only around 6 months
- On average a person sheds between 100 and 150 hairs each day. That means in the average life a person sheds over 3,000,000 hairs!
- Body hair is usually shorter than head hair as it has a shorter growing phase before it falls out
- Hair is mostly made up of a substance called Keratin which is the same as animal hooves and horns are made from
- Hair tends to grow slightly faster in warmer weather as heat stimulates the circulation which encourages hair growth
- And last, but not least, human hair (and fingernails) continue to grow after death! How scary is that.
We hope you found these body hair facts interesting and entertaining. If you did please consider sharing the article on your social media.
As well as these body hair facts take a look at these body hair myths we have debunked in this article.
If you wish to find out more about removing body hair for men please take a look at this.