What is the best way to shave testicles? I offer the benefit of my many years of experience to ensure you do it safely and with the best results.
Of all the places you might wish to shave, this is probably the area you will feel the most need to be careful. If there is anywhere a man is the most protective of it is these. And rightly so of course, being one of the most sensitive parts of the body.
Although most men shave their scrotum for purely aesthetic reasons others do it as a “one off” for medical reasons – for example before having a vasectomy. It may be better to do this yourself before going to the hospital but there again you may be depriving a pretty young nurse the opportunity!
The pros and cons of shaving your balls and pubic area:
- It makes you nice and smooth
- shaving can make you more sensitive
- your partner will probably prefer it
- better hygiene and probably a better smell too
- it can make the “tree” seem taller!
- much less painful than waving
- unless you are careful you might cut yourself
- if you have sensitive skin you may end up with a razor burn or rash
- there is the slight possibility of getting an ingrowing hair
The best place for shaving down there is obviously the bathroom. If you have one, then a bidet is perfect. Some like to do it in the shower but personally I just found that a distraction.
I prefer either standing in front of the sink or sitting on the front of the toilet seat (where I can reach the sink too). Keep the sink full of nice warm water to make cleaning the razor easier.
You may wish to place a towel underneath, particularly if you have a carpeted bathroom floor or a Manscaped Magic Mat if you have one.
Selecting the right tools for the job
I have tried but never had any great success using an electric face razor for this. The only real success I have had is with shaving gel and a razor.
Before you can shave though you will need to remove the bulk of the hair. You can do this with a pair of scissors but it is quicker and easier to use a specialist body hair trimmer. We recommend the very genital-friendly Lawn Mower 2.0 for this.
To do the shaving, you can use the same razor you use on your face, with a new blade of course. However, Manscaped have developed a specialized wet razor called The Plow that you may wish to consider – see below.
You will also need a good shaving gel, or foam.
To see underneath a hand mirror may also be useful.
Now off you go
My no 1 tip is … Don’t Rush! Take your time and do everything carefully and slowly.
Assuming you are going for the fully shaved look, then start removing your pubic hair with the trimmer from the top, working your way down to your balls. On the way, remove any hair you may have growing along the shaft of your best friend. Don’t stop there either, what about any hair on your upper in thighs or even around your butt! You may as well go the whole hog.
Once everything is trimmed, using the shaving gel/foam, give everything a good lathering. Then, to try and reduce the chances of cuts, try to spread the skin as taught as possible with one hand while shaving with the other. You will need to pull your scrotum around to do this. If you do need to shave the shaft of your best friend then there is an obvious way of making that skin tight – but I will leave you to figure that out!
Using the mirror if necessary check that you have removed everything and haven’t left any tufts of hair.
Once you are happy with the result, then give the whole area a wash in the shower to get rid of any loose hair.
It is a good idea to use a good skin or body lotion after you dry yourself (borrow your wife/partner’s if you don’t have any). This will help prevent any irritations. Whatever you do DO NOT USE AFTERSHAVE. Trust me, I have done it stung like hell.
What to do if you cut yourself
If you have followed my tips on how to shave your balls without cutting yourself then this shouldn’t be an issue.
If the worst has happened, and you have nicked the skin of your scrotum, you will probably find that it bleeds profusely.
You can try some of these ways to stop the bleeding:
- Apply pressure until it stops.
- Try an ice cube. The cold shrinks the blood blood vessels and restricts the flow of blood.
- This may sting, but try some deodorant. Most contain aluminum chloride which helps shrink blood vessels, giving time for the blood to clot.
- Use some lip balm or Vaseline on the cut to restrict blood flow.
- Spider’s web. An old wives’ tale but one that I have used which did work. Get some cobweb, if there are some around your house, and smear on to the cut. Spiders inject a coagulant into their victims to stop blood flow and this is also contained in their webs.
Manscape’s Perfect Package – the complete solution
The manscaping “Perfect Package” is a very good price and comes complete with everything you need to shave your balls and genital area.
I am a big fan of Manscaped since I discovered them some months ago. The Lawn Mower 2.0 (read my review here) is becoming my favourite body hair trimmer and their manscaping packages are very good value.
The Perfect Package 2.0 contains the following:
- THE LAWN MOWER 2.0 – professional grade personal trimmer
- THE PLOW – safety razor
- CROP PRESERVER – multitasking moisturizer & deodorant
- CROP REVIVER – toner & refresher
- MAGIC MAT – set of 3 disposable shaving mats
At the moment they are also giving a free gift of THE SHED – travel/storage bag ($39.99 value)
You can also select their Peak Hygiene Plan which includes automatic 3-monthly blade replacements. A great service.
For more information and buying options see their Perfect Package page
If you have found this “Best way to shave testicles” article useful you may also want to read the following: